Some self-defense tips and ideas suggested by Delhi girls, Nimue and Bindya Malhotra:
Never going out alone is NOT an option for any one. Specially in these days when most of us work outside home town and live alone. But going safe always is. And here are few things one should keep in mind :
- Always inform some one where you are going and the time you would be back. Better to give exact address / area name.
- Gather information about the area you are going to visit so you can reach and leave on time.
- Do not ignore your intuition about dark / empty streets. Wait for some one to be around or prepare your defense.
- Accept that you have to face such men some time in your life, so no harm being prepared or to learn defense tactics.
- Do not hesitate to ask help from people ( ladies preferred ) around you if you feel unsure of the way you take.
- When returning alone from a dinner / party , make sure you are not drunk. Arrange for yourself a reliable cab or better ask a friend to drop you home.
- Never fear raising voice / telling some guy that he is making you feel uncomfortable. Ignore the comments that might follow some times.
A] 1 In most situations, the attacker would push you to the ground and place himself on you, between your legs
2 Part your legs immediately, and place your right foot on the attacker’s right ankle to lock his right leg and restrict his movement
3 Now, outstretch your left hand swiftly, resembling the crucifix position. This would take his weight off you and move him to the left
4 As you outstretch your left hand (as shown in step 3), lift your right hip up and topple him over to the floor
5 Once you’ve managed to get him on the floor, punch him hard under the nostrils or in the eyes, get up and flee from the spot.
B] 1) If an attacker is trying to pull you by the arm, instead of resisting, catapult your body towards him and push the opponent, combining his own force to your arsenal,
2) The technique of arresting the attacker’s hand instead of resisting was very helpful.
3) Folding the thumb so that the bony part of the hand protrudes towards the outside is very effective. Hitting an assailant with the bony part of your hand is better than a palm slap,
4) Keep a pepper spray or a deo handy, to spray in the attackers eyes.
5) Do not sit inside a car with the doors unlocked, In a parking lot.
6) Keep a few important numbers as your speed dial for example your parents, husband, brother most importantly the police emergency number 100.
7) every time you leave your home, tell someone where you’re going, the exact time you’ll be back.
8) when you’re out with friends, watch your drink.
9) DO NOT take or give lifts to strangers. If going with a friend, inform someone.
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS:
1) Don’t let someone take undue advantage of you on the pretext of frisking. Remember, according to Section 54 of the Criminal Procedure Code, no policeman can frisk you. Only a policewoman can frisk a woman. If you aren’t comfortable with the way in which you are being frisked even by a policewoman, you can report the matter to senior police officers who are bound by the law to take action.
Please read and share this post with all your girl friends. If you have any more tips and tricks, kindly let us know in the comments sections.