Guest post by Ankita Garg:
I just started stalking that crush of mine on the internet.
After few days, I move on to other people & with my life. This is casual stalking, which we all do at some point of time in our life. It can be for fun, for getting information or any such reason. But what about serious stalkers? People who would stalk you to the extent of knowing your home address, office address, all contact numbers & all your personal details.
Few people would try to contact the person they are stalking & if they don’t get a response; leave it at that. But what about stalkers who continue with their pestering calls or messages and would not even hesitate to show up at your house or office? This is something serious we all need to take precautions & actions about.
Precautions you should take if you’re active on the internet :
1) Don’t leave your personal information open for public.
2) Don’t share your personal details easily, without knowing the person a little/more.
3) This one is for girls; please don’t keep your Facebook albums open, which have your personal photographs. Also, avoid posting too many photographs that might attract weird people or stalkers.
4) Use your common sense & keep away from people who give a sense of stalker capabilities. Be alert.
Once you know somebody is stalking you, try blocking them from social networks & phone. If they still continue, try talking to them once or twice telling them you are not interested or threatening them to report to police. If the stalking still continues (for over 8-10 months), kindly take this issue seriously.
Precautions to take after you know about the serious stalker:
1) Keep your parents/ elder siblings or some male friends informed about the whole series of events. Also make sure you inform them about all places you are going.
2) Keep a pocket knife or Pepper spray with you. Such things can come handy if the stalker is some psycho.
3) Report it to the police & let them handle the matter.
4) Even after the stalker has stopped with his nuisance, be alert & try going out in groups.
Everyone, stalkers can be psychologically disturbed people too. So always try to stay alert while you’re on the internet. And never let such events affect you too much to disturb your personal life.