Guest Blog post by @probablytrippy. This piece of writing is originally posted here & has been taken after permission. It gives details of all PR/Media contacts on Social networking sites and how few mins of our efforts can bring about a change.
Rape in india is systemic – it is not a one off case here and there but a systematic abuse of women which can not be tolerated by any citizen.
Our individual anger will not make the government shift. We must make our voices heard, as one huge group. ANd we need to make sure the people who hear it can actually impact the national conversation.
One of the most important people our voice can influence is “Media”. Continual media coverage of rape in the country and systemic and judicial failures in addresing it will amplify our outrage, maybe even get the government to listen.
We will achieve this by (You can read the letter here)
– continuous and vociferous communication of our anger to media decision makers and reporters using all social media outlets available to us.
– The demand for a specific publicly posted WRITTEN confirmation by a media channel to its viewers that a specific number of minutes in the newscycle to the heinous crime of rape, and to highlight points of systemic and judicial failures.
– The demand for specific publicly posted WRITTEN confirmation by a media channel to its viewers that special care will be taken with headlines/bugs/graphics that portray “woman as victim” rather than “man as violent aggresor”
If we get a critical mass in this, and the channel does not respond, we go on to step 2, hit them where it hurts, target their advertisers. And then, friends, they will have to listen.
But to get to step 2, we must reach a critical mass. We need to FLOOD their Facebook, their twitter, their websites, every place, with a CONSISTENT message, over and over again. Every day. They need to get hundreds
Below are some draft templates for tweets/FB posts/Comments that you can use. you can obviously change the wordings but DO remember to link back to our list of demands – i have kept them reasonable, actionable, and measurable – please lets not argue about whether it is enough or not – its a start.
Here is a list of mediafolk on twitter, to get you started
Twitter option (enough space to address @ someone)
- Media pressure makes a difference. I demand you cover the #crisisofrape. These are my demands http://collectivityblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/draft-templates-for-endrape-coverage/
FB post option/Comment option
- Media pressure can make a difference. As your consumer i demand you cover the crisis of rape in india. I demand you do this CONTINUOUSLY, every day. i demand a written confirmation within 30 days, or i will boycott your channel and write to your advertisers. These are my demands http://collectivityblog.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/draft-templates-for-endrape-coverage/
You could also choose to simply share this post on your fb or twitter. all it takes is one click – surely you can do that much?